SOUTH AFRICAN CULTURAL EXCHANGE TRIP 2018
Every second year the St. Mary’s Sporting Club in partnership with the AFL organise a cultural exchange trip overseas. This trip is organised bi-annually so every boy who goes through the junior program gets the opportunity to go on this life changing experience. The group that goes is the U17 boys.
Trips gone too so far have been Ireland, Cape York, Weipa and the past 3 trips to Sth Africa where we have formed a fantastic relationship with AFL Sth Africa.
To enable every boy a chance to go on the trip it is not a requirement that a parent has to attend with them but we do need a significant number of parents (good to have ration of 1 adult to 2 – 2.5 boys). The past 2 trips have had between 40 – 50 people going.
Whilst 3 games of football are played against AFL Sth Africa U18 team in different provinces, the football is only the mechanism for the trip with the main purpose being to understand the different cultures of the place we visit and mixing with the people is the highlight.
The club works with the AFL and AFL Sth Africa and our great sponsor Greg Cooke from Hello World to get fantastic discounts on our accommodation, travel and places we visit. The club also raises significant funds to subsidise the boys trip with adults going paying the full discounted price. The AFL are keen to support the trip again in 2018.
Next Meeting – Monday 28th May 6pm
Organising Committee 2018
- Chairman – David Batson
- Treasurer – John Toone
- Secretary – Sonia Lazzaro
- AFL Contact – Kevin McMahon
- Sponsorship – Matt Williams, John Hovey, Jim Henderson
- Barefoot Bowls – Sunday Nov 5 Andrew Batson
- Cadel Evans Race – Mick Ryan
- Trots Night Sat Feb 24 – Jody Bourke. There is an opportunity to get Race Sponsors for the night $350 per race
- Wine Drive – John Toone is taking orders up until Dec 10 for Christmas delivery. Email – firstname.lastname@example.org / Mobile 0408 277 752
- Fruit & Veg fundraiser at the clubrooms – Thursday Dec 7 4pm – 7pm
- Darts Night at the Clubrooms – Friday February 9 – details here
- High Tea at Wintergarden Cafe June 2. Contact Bridget Henderson or Jo Nelson
- Big Night Out Saturday July 14 – Donations letter here
- Big Night Out tickets tickets online here
- Fruit & Veg fundraiser at the clubrooms – Friday August 17
Sponsorship opportunuties –
We thank the following who have made this trip possible
SOUTH AFRICAN CULTURAL EXCHANGE TRIP 2016