Firstly we would like to thank all who attended our junior information and review meeting, we got some great feedback on things we can improve on. Whilst we are proud of our current junior system we also understand there are many areas we need to continually improve and evolve to ensure our boys and girls get the greatest opportunity to develop on and off the field.
Discussion at meeting
- President Jock McMahon addressed the group and said how important it is to get as many helpers as we can to support the program. By leaving to too few the club is not being able to run the program to its maximum potential.
- Spoke of roles to support both on field development as well as the off field development program.
Discussion points and opportunities:
- Have more senior player involvement with juniors e.g. help out at training, buddy system for teams . Bring together more closely the Junior and Senior arms of the club.
- Social events – Ways to get more junior people at social functions. Hold Junior functions perhaps a BBQ at start of season. Have team managers and others actively promote plus use current mechanisms such as facebook, email, website etc.
- Set up a junior committee which reports into over all junior coordinator e.g. social person etc.
- Team manager training for consistency at the start of the year. We need to have team managers appointed early in order to have time to train. Look to open membership earlier to facilitate this.
- Coach of the coaches for all juniors so consistent message across the club
- Consistent communication for all levels – eg Facebook group for each age group
- How can we get more 1st aiders and trainers – look to again actively encourage as well as see who has current 1st aids .
- Look at potential opportunity to share roles e.g. team manager, trainers etc. as some people may not be able to commit each week so have a back up may see more people step forward.
- Look at with girls footy emphasis on training techniques to reduce potential for injury
- Ensure all teams have 1st aid kit at start of season, feedback was this year not all teams had.
- Encourage all teams and parents to come along to Thursday night dinners even if have to start dinners earlier to coincide with juniors finishing training
- Send out information sheet at start of year with all events on, also utilise scoreboard with messages on a Thursday night for social functions etc.
- Call junior teams by past helpers/legends names e.g. Saints / Mathieson
- Continual education of parents on umpires etc. and ensure club code of conduct followed at all games. Ensure A frames with behaviours expected are displayed .
- Review of available training space and map out where each group is to train.
The documents referred to in the meeting were:
1. St.Mary’s Junior review document – Goes through major changes of AFL Barwon junior review along with a breakdown of feedback from our club survey.
2. AFL Barwon junior review final document – Which lists all of the changes that will be put in place in 2018.
3. Player development strategy Explains the club’s on and off field development program
Not discussed but will be implemented
New Child Safety Standards – requirement for Working with Children checks etc
If anyone has any more feedback please send through so we can continually work on evolving our program.
We will be holding another junior meeting post Christmas but those interested in any roles please send through with any other general feedback or questions to email@example.com.
Expression of interest for junior football roles in 2018 – Volunteer positions
Sporting Club’s only exist with the help of our volunteers, It is expected that each player’s family will commit to one or more volunteer role/s for the season to help facilitate our junior development program.