Girls/Women’s Football update January 2018
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hope you all enjoyed the festive break and ready to get back into kicking a ball!
We are picking up where we left off last year with a couple of Sunday sessions to improve your skills and fitness and will officially begin pre-season training next month.
Following are some dates to note:
Sunday 14th January – 10am to 11am
Fitness Training Session with Renee Garing
Open to all age groups
Sunday 21st January – 10am to 11am
Skills Training Session with women’s footy coaches
Open to all age groups
Wednesday 7th February – times to be advised
First pre-season training session
All age groups
Sunday 18th February – 11am to 3pm
Club Membership day – whole club
Email will be sent to you with online membership forms and payment options prior
Sunday 18th March – more details to be advised
Women’s training camp (whole day) at Lorne Surf Lifesaving Club
Senior women only
We are still waiting on the female footy fixture to be advised by AFL Barwon, but expect the first round will be in early/mid April, so there’s lots of time to hone those skills and get fit.
We hope to make an official announcement about the appointed coaches after our Board meeting next week, but are still interested to hear from anybody who may wish to assist with training, match day support and/or team management.
In the meantime, you could all get organised with the following:
- Complete a clearance form If you are transferring from another club or league to St Mary’s Sporting Club or you are brand new to football, you need to fill in the AFL Clearance/Registration Form and return to me via email or in person.
- Organise a mouthguard to wear at training and for games . Our club sponsor is Belmont Denture Clinic http://www.belmontdentureclinic.com.au make sure you mention you are from St Mary’s.
Alternatively, you can grab one from the chemist to mould yourself – better than broken teeth!
- Buy some footy boots to wear at training . Remember we have some second hand boots available at the club for you to try, we will have these out at training sessions. Getting boots now and breaking them in is a great idea!
- Order your playing shorts. You can do this at training sessions with me. There is an upfront payment of $40 and we have EFTPOS facilities available. The club will supply a playing jumper that you will return at the end of the season.
- Work on your fitness. Click HERE to view the fitness training ideas that Renee has put together for you girls and remember to partner up with somebody to make it more fun and challenging.
- Buy yourself a footy. U12s will play with a synthetic Size 2 ball, U15s, U18s and Seniors will play with a Leather Size 4 ball, so buy the size you’ll be playing with and use it at home.
- Read the Rule & Regulations Make yourself familiar with what rules apply to your age group, Click here to review. Senior women play by the same rules as Men’s AFL.
- Join our Facebook page We have setup a closed Facebook page called SMSC Female Football that you can request to join. We will use this along with email for communication at this stage to relay information to you, not everybody is on email all the time and any last minute changes to training (due to weather and the like) will appear on this platform.
If you have any questions about anything, you can contact myself (Amanda) on this email email@example.com or call 0425 718 094.
Alternatively, Kevin McMahon on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0457 507 202.